Thursday, October 29, 2015

When Silence is Not a Virtue - Where is Mr. President?

If I were the Nigerian president, I would spend one hour every month communicating with the Nigerian people.
I would speak about our current situation, challenges, our interventions and what lies ahead. I would also mention areas where we are doing well. Each time, I would have one key official of my government with me to speak in detail about the more critical issues faced by Nigerians.
Once ministers are appointed, I would have one join me every month. This would eventually reduce to quarterly once we are up to speed and the new cabinet settles down.
Through my administration, I would speak with Nigerians at least once a quarter.
Also, I would make it a habit not to speak of domestic issues and new directions in policy or governance in any foreign country before I have spoken of it at home.

In times of crises and great national urgency,  leaders are often the rallying point for unity, patriotism and renewal of belief in a joint vision.
The leader must not only constantly articulate this vision, he must  communicate with effect  to rally the troops and get everyone in line towards the common goal.

Considering the dire security situation in the North East, the country-wide economic slow down, confusing monetary policy initiatives, etc., we expect Mr. President to be more communicative. This is not the time to be taciturn. There is hardly a great leader who led their country out of crises, wars and economic downturns that could be called a "silent achiever".

SAN

No comments:

Post a Comment